Sreenarayanaguru Open University, the State University for education and training in blended format, was established by the Govt. of Kerala in September 2020 vide the government ordinance No. 45 of 2020. Having been established as the 15th University in the State of Kerala the Sreenarayanaguru Open University aims at strengthening the structural dynamics of academic cooperation for ensuring quality inclusive education for all regardless of age, creed, gender, and religion. The jurisdiction of the University is limited to the political boundaries of the state of Kerala. The university was officially dedicated by Sri. Pinarayi Vijayan, the Hon. Chief Minister of Kerala on 2nd of October, 2020. In pursuance of the legal procedures, the Sreenarayanaguru Open University was accorded recognition under the section 2(f) and 22 of the University Grant Commission Act of 1956. The State Legislature of Kerala has unanimously enacted the Sreenarayanaguru Open University Act in January, 2021 (Act 1 of 2021).
The Ordinance and Act scheme out the governance of the University with the Chancellor as its head. By virtue of the office of Hon. Governor of Kerala, Sri. Arif Mohammad Khan acts as the Chancellor of the University. Hon. Minister for Higher Education is the Pro-Chancellor and Dr. K. T. Jaleel was the First Pro-Chancellor. In 2020-2021 May, Dr. Bindu became the Pro-Chancellor. Dr. P. M. Mubarak Pasha was appointed the First Vice-Chancellor. He assumed the office on 19th of October 2020. Dr S.V. Sudheer is the First Pro-Vice-Chancellor and Dr. P. N. Dileep is the First Registrar. Mr. V. Ajay Kumar is the First Finance Officer.
Sreenarayanaguru Open University is housed in a private rented building situated beside the Ashtamudi backwaters near the bypass toll plaza Kureepuzha, Kollam. The Headquarters has dedicated offices for the governance, academic and administrative units. Recently the Government of Kerala has handed over a cluster of buildings in the Government HSS campus, Mulamkadakom, Kollam. This campus, known as Annex campus, houses the IT Center, Library, classrooms and faculty offices.